Wednesday, January 27, 2010

You've Got To Be Kidding Me!

To "SableHairAngel" who left the following comment to my previous post...

I don't exactly think Mickey Mouse is the problem, just bad parenting.

Really, she's a kid. They have idols. That's why there is Barney, Mickey Mouse, etc.

Would you like it better if she obsessed over Paris Hilton?



Are you even serious?! You may find it appropriate to have your child walk all over you to get whatever he or she wants, but in our house and home, it is not acceptable. To give a screaming child whatever she is screaming for is only going to reinforce that behavior. While I find her infatuation with Mickey cute, when it gets to the point of her screaming bloody murder because she is being made to lay down for her nap instead of watching his show, I am going to restrict her access to him.

Idolatry is not something that is acceptable in this home. We are teaching her to love the Lord and have no other gods before Him. Other people doing something is not a reason for us to raise our children in the same manner.

You don't know anything about me, my child, or my family other than what you have read in one blog post, so do not tell me how to raise my children.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

Brittany, don't you just love haters? ;) You are a great Mama and Jared is a great Daddy! Don't let those none-ya-business comments get you down. :) Have a great day!!

Mom said...

I totally agree with you Brittany. You were raised well, Jared was raised well, and your children will be raised well and taught to follow God's word. You are a very patient, and awesome mother.

Anonymous said...

AMEN!

Mom Ro. said...

Brittany and Jared, As I said on FB - I support you two! You are great parents to your two little girls. Loving, caring, good parents. You are the ones who know your daughters best. Just because you have fun posting about some of the things that are happening in your home, does not give anyone the right to think they know your children better than you do! Keep up the good work! Love, Mom Ro.

Unknown said...

Brittany,
This is why I have a love/hate relationship with blogging. It seems like disciplining children would be a great topic for discussion but I have found it really sets people off. I once had hundreds of comments on a blog post about discipline, many of them not very nice. It made me want to hide under a rock. Even things that seem mundane and obvious to a parent can anger some people.

As to Mickey: I have noticed this with all my children and even myself. I get addicted to things for a time and I need to give it a break. I think the Lord built into our lives the need for sabbaths from even good things.