Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sneak Peek!

Here's a little sneak peek at what I've been working on for the past couple days. I call it a "sneak peek" but it's really a "this is all that's finished peek".




It's the crib bumper for Naomi's room! Yesterday afternoon I was able to get the material cut and most of the ties completed. I finished them up this morning, along with the piping for the top (the first time I've ever done this-- not as complicated as I expected it to be), and this afternoon I pieced, pinned, and sewed the one side of the bumper shown. As with most of my sewing projects, it started out slow, but the pace should pick up a little as I figure things out and get into a rhythm.

I'm copying the look of some bumpers I've seen online, but am doing it without a pattern so I'm sort of learning as I go. It will be far from perfect but I'm pleased with how the first quarter of the project has turned out. I love all things toile and am excited to finally have it somewhere in our house! The interior of the bumper is a soft ivory minky fabric. The theme of the room is going to be the "Fruits of the Spirit". I'll do some sort of painting with fruit on it and frame some of the fruits listed in Galatians 5. That's the plan anyways. What we don't yet have a plan for is the color of the walls. Right now they're the awful builder beige. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Should we add a chair rail? One color on the bottom, a different on top? What do you think?

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Look at you! That looks fabulous :) That's a hard decision on the paint...

Completely unrelated, Charlotte looks so much smaller on your header picture than she is now. *sniff, sniff* I think it's time to put a brick on her head to stop her from growing anymore!

Whitney said...

That is so cute! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Arin Rollins said...

Wow! They are turning out beautiful!! Good job on the cording/piping!! Love the material.

Anonymous said...

Great job! Wish I could sew like that... sigh.
pk @ Room Remix